Mvurya Approves Sh9.2 billion County Budget
By Eliazar Babu (GM Contributor)
Kwale Governor, Salim Mvurya yesterday signed the county approved budget of Sh9.2 billion. He was joined by the Kwale County Assembly chairperson of the Whole House Committee, Hon. Chirema Kombo, the County Secretary Mr. Martin Mwaro and the County Chief Executive Officer of Finance Mr. Alex Onduko.
According to Kwale County`s official Twitter account, a huge chunk of the total budget will be spent on recurrent expenditure (57.6%) while the remaining 42.4% has been directed towards development.
The health department receives the biggest share of the budget with Sh2.4 billion, followed by education with Sh1.5 billion. Much of the money allocated for the health department is expected to bolster up the county`s health sector in battling the Coronavirus pandemic.
This comes after Governor Mvurya fell out with MCAs who snubbed his request for a Sh160 million food kitty after a supplementary budget was passed. According to a local daily, the county assembly Speaker, Mr. Samuel Ruwa, said that the county assembly alternatively sought expert opinion where it was suggested that the money would be better spent on buying medical supplies to battle Covid-19.
After his plan to feed nearly 500,000 residents was scuttled, Governor Mvurya accused the MCAs of refusing to help struggling residents. Ruwa responded by saying that food shouldn’t have been treated as an emergency.
Mvurya was scheduled to meet the General Oversight Committee on June 17, 2020 but requested more time to prepare his brief. A seven-member committee headed by deputy speaker Andrew Mulei has been tasked to review the governor’s letter and set another date for his grilling.